Andoid is one of the largest mobile operating System that is increasing the number of users by leaps and bounds. So, here are some unknown facts about android that must not be ignored.
25 Android Facts
- Android was developed by Android Inc in 2003 by Andy Rubin and Rich Miner
- Google Purchased Android Inc in 2005 for $50 million
- Google announced Android as a mobile platform on November 5th 2007
- Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of 71 hardware, software, and telecom companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices and for collaborative development of Android was formed in Novemebr 2007
- Android is based on Linux Kernel
- Android has been available as open source since 21 October 2008
- The Android operating system consists of 12 million lines of code including 3 million lines of XML, 2.8 million lines of C, 2.1 million lines of Java, and 1.75 million lines of C++
- Google released most of the Android code under the Apache License, a free software and open source license.With the Apache License, vendors can add proprietary extensions without submitting those back to the open source community.
- The updates for Android are named after Pastries
- The past releases were named as Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, with Gingerbread going to be launched
- The first phone to run on Android OS was HTC Dream and was released on 22 October 2008
- Android 1.1 was launched on 9th February 2009
- Android 1.5 named as Cupcake was launched on 30th April 2009 and was based on Linux Kernel 2.6.27
- Android 1.6 named as Donut was launched on 15th September 2009 and was based on Linux Kernel 2.6.29
- Android 2.1 named as Eclair was launched on 12th January 2010 and was based on Linux Kernel 2.6.29
- Android 2.2 named as Froyo (Frozen Yoghurt) was launched on 20th May 2010 and was based on Linux Kernel 2.6.32
- Android 3.0 named as Gingerbread is planned for released during October end 2010
- The first Android SDK was released on 12th November 2007
- Android market was announced on 28th August 2008
- Android 1.0 SDK was released on 23rd September 2008 aiding for developers to develop applications for Android OS
- Android market was made available to public on 22nd October 2008
- The first publicly available application was the Snake game.
- As of July 2010 App Market has around 75,000 Android applications
- As of July 2010 reports Android is getting activated in more than 2,00,000 phones daily.
- As of August 2010 Android OS is at number three globally as per Gartner